Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 15: Walks and Curry

I don't have much to say except for my blessings, so I'll cut to the chase.

Today, I decided to walk to school for the first time.. well the first time that I actually had class. I got home from babysitting in a tizzy, as I had 5 minutes to get lunch and snacks packed- something I had wanted to do in the morning but felt those extra 10 minutes of sleep were more important. So, I was running around and took about 10-15 minutes to actually complete these tasks. I ran out the door and walked with purpose. The trip there was a bit of a trek. I walked and for some reason chose to cut straight through campus, which means ALL UPHILL... what was I thinking? I do not know. All I do know is that my quads and calves were SCREAMING when I get to class. I got a few 'wow... what is wrong' stares, but then explained that I had just walked from home and picked the wrong route. Now I know.

Alas, sometimes we learn only the hard way. I made it in the nick of time despite thinking I would surely be late. After a day full of presentations and an awesome speaker who spoke to us about Rachel Carson's legacy and those who followed, who I'd never heard of until last week and is my latest fascination, I took the trek back home. However, when a trip is all uphill one way, what is the way back? All downhill.

On my way home, I took a deep breath and listened to this awesome app that I love that reads the bible to you daily(the Daily Audio Bible) and it was an awesome way to round out the day of learning. That and a plate of organic fruits and veggies, as Rachel Carson was all about pesticide-free foods. I was in my happy place.

Why was I walking at all... well, recently, I remembered a post I wrote so long ago that I stumbled upon recently...  Called The Good Life . It is from when I was on the ship and didn't have many of the freedoms I was used to at home, but suddenly had again when I was in Tenerife. One of which was walking alone with no fear. At the end of the post, I urge myself to walk as much as I can at home, since I have two perfectly good legs that can get me places.... therefore, I have no reason NOT to walk. Sure, I can make excuses, but I used to miss this freedom, and I have it again. I may not have it in the future, so I need to take advantage.

As I got home, I had plans to make dinner. It was almost 6:30 by this point, making this dinner in my mind around 8pm, but I was okay with that... I love to cook. So, I pulled out all of the ingredients I thought of on my walk home an started whipping up my new favorite to cook- Curry. I never touched curry until about a month ago, as it scared me. But then, a roommate explained the process, and I realize really it's not that difficult. I made a small batch, and it was amazing. So, tonight I made a massssssive batch. I am so excited. I love curry, and this one is super duper delicious and I certainly have enough for a while!! That's another thing I missed while I was away... cooking.
The Ingredients(some of them)

Simmering away
My hands aren't used to this kind of chopping anymore!! Got to get those callouses back!
The final product

So, I sit here contemplating my day, which was exhausting and I am struggling to lift my arms today due to our fierce workout last night, but there are still great blessings, even when I am not in the best of spirits. Thank you God for that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment