Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Dat 22: The Gift to Share

Today was one of my graduate presentations, which I have been nervous about all semester. It is my longest presentation, but also about the topic I care about the most- Child life. Initially I asked if I could discuss Drama, but I was quickly shot down, and for that I am grateful. I realized later that this professor wants us to disccuss more deeply profound issues in schools. Some did not choose those issues, but I think she knew I was okay taking on a challenge, so she dared me. Challenge accepted.

I was a bit nervous to be honest, but I always am before a presentation. I get stage fright. I know. The actor gets stage fright. I do. Every. Time. Ever since I siezed up completely in a performance in college, it has scared me....(that performance that I siezed up in was the best I have given in my life, for the record. I siezed up, but was able to use the fear to propel the monologue to a place it had never been. It was kinda great,  even if I had a complete diva-esque meltdown right afterwards.) I get stagefright, but whenever I get in front of an audience, or in this case a classroom, suddenly it all melts away. It is in that moment I remember that I love this and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I had the opportunity to present child life to my teacher colleagues and it was as if I had opened a whole new world before them. It was beautiful. It was absolutely my blessing for the day and I felt honored to share it with them and share a bit of myself and my hopes for the future with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment