Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Missing you...

Every night before I go to sleep(at least lately) I like to write in my journal. It helps me get things off of my mind and helps me process the day a bit. I thought there'd be no way for me to have anything to write every day... but man have I!:) It relaxes me and gets me ready for bed.
Last night, I wrote and wrote and wrote about something I had no idea was even bugging me... I thought I'd share some of those thoughts with you.

I didn't get to hear much of the service last night, since I was working, and people were being super chatty in reception, so I couldn't hear anything, butttt... I did her something along the lines of this... Some people were really happy to leave Sierra Leone(I'll call it Salone from now on.. fyi...;)) because they couldn't stand the traffic, the grime, the buildings that are fallign down, the slums and corruption. Then others, people like me, were completely heart broken and didn't want to leave at all... we hardly saw the devastation, but saw the beauty of the people we'd formed incredible bonds with and were so sad to leave them...

For me, at first in Salone, I was in shock- the buildings were abandoned and destroyed in the war, some were still occupied but were not liveable to my standards, it was just sad... Then, one day was we were walking around, someone was talking about how beautiful the buildings were- how amazing they must've been when they were just built by the English who colonized the region... honestly... stunning...

Once I saw this, it was almost like I saw it all with new eyes. I didn't mind the building so much, but I saw the people- their smiles, their warm welcomes, the kids who scream "HELLOOO!!! OPATO!!!!!!" To us as we walked by... I miss it terribly.... I miss all of those friends I left behind who are so dear to me.. the children, my day workers, the patients, everyone...

Being in Ghana is just so... sad in comparison. Ghana is much more developed... 1/2 developed as we deemed it the other day... one second you're in this giant super market selling things for a thousand dollars, but just across the street are slums and the food market- the Africa I know and love...You take the highway(weird) and pass these HUGE sky scrapers and buildings and the mall where people spend more in a minute than most people make in 6 months... It just all seems very wrong to me... I'd rather have the people of sweet Salone, than the wealth in Ghana....

I'm honestly quite happy I'm going home now. I think it's time. It'll be nice to have my little comforts, though surely I'll be thinking twice about everything I do. I'll have to put aside the culture I've learned for the last year and put back on the American culture, at least a little bit, in order to rest up and enjoy my holiday. Ghana is nice... really- it has beautiful hotels and it has great looking hospitals and the infrastructure is a bit more stable... but... it's not where I want to be right now.. I think 6 days is the perfect amount of time- I saw a bit, but then I'm gone... my heart is still in Salone. I'm sure Togo and whatever country is next will steal my heart as well.. but I think Salone will FOREVER be in my heart...

Ghana has beauty in way of wealth... but.. I'd much prefer Salone- the beautiful people and beautifuulll scenery... I truly hope that one day I'll be able to return to Salone... maybe if we wind up in Guinea we'll have a road trip... go back to the land I love...

For now, I'll be going home.... mmm home... sounds great.... the land of constant electricity- no power outages during dinner, however charming those are, garunteed water, food and general safety... all commodities here in Africa... Thank God for the officials in Ghana though... really... they donated our berth, which would be thousands of dollars a day, donated water, garbage removal... its just... wow... but I am looking forward to not having to worry about conservation quite so much. Still something we should all be doing... but not to the extend where you're scared if you dont turn off your water between soaking your hands and soaping them when washing hands, you wont be able to take a shower or do your laundry that week...

Anyway... just a piece of my mind at the moment.... Oh sweet Salone... how I miss thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment