Monday, April 30, 2012

More Ramblings of a Night Shift Worker...

I thought I would share something with you I've been thinking about pretty much this whole night shift I'm currently in...

John 9:1-6
As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, " But this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world." After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man's eyes...

Now, there's a whole lot more to this story than just this bit, but I wanted to share this bit. I stumbled upon this during a church service, if I'm remembering correctly. I heard it a few months ago and it hit me like a ton of bricks...

You see, here in West Africa- at least the countries I've been to- Benin, Sierra Leone, Togo, they believe that bad things happen due to a curse, much like the disciples above, who asked who sinned to cause this to happen to the man. Thankfully, Jesus sets them straight by saying, 'Neither'... This makes me think of a conversation I had in Benin. I've told this story before, but it's on my mind, so I"m going to share it again.

A Grandmother was sitting in bed with her 1 month old granddaughter, who happened to have a cleft lip. After talking with this woman a bit, through a translator of course, I learned that the mom died not too long after child birth. I explained that I also had a cleft lip and palate when I was born. She was shocked and confused. She asked me how this is possible- it's a local curse, not something that you can get in the US. I explained to her how it's not a curse, but rather a medical condition that can happen randomly. It can be genetic, but in my case, and her granddaughter's case, it's a random occurrence. She was in disbelief and also very clearly relieved. She asked me why this happens and I explained what I know medically, then I looked at her and said, "You know what, I think this happens so that God could bring people like me and you together." I never realized how biblical this statement was until recently.

Jesus himself says it- these things happen to bring glory to God... now that can look like so many different things.. but for me, it's why I feel this has happened to me. I've never felt like a victim. I've always looked at it like a trial that I faced when I was young, and to this day I still battle with different problems that the cleft has given me- Dental, ENT issues, etc, but I've grown to own it.

I've grown to realize this is something God uses in me. My hospitalizations, my experiences with doctors, my struggles that have come because of my 'handicap' as some would call it has made me a strong woman who wouldn't have it any other way. I thoroughly plan on using these experiences to help other kids in the same situation through their trials and help them come out on top.... Isn't God great?

Anyway, that was something that has been on my mind all night. I'm interested to see where God takes me next on this crazy journey in Africa. I'm not sure right now what the next year looks like- if I'll get a new job that I"m in love with, of it I'll be in a job I don't love, whether I'll come home in February like I had 'planned', or if I'll stay longer, whether I'll get to keep my original plan of  getting home before camp next year, or if there's something else that'll come up... I have 0 idea, but keeping in mind that God's got a plan for me and as long as I'm trusting in him and listening, he'll take me there, is so exciting... a little scary, not gonna lie, but I think more exciting. He's been showing me so much lately and turned so many grim situations into a good thing that I'm excited to see what he's got for me this time;)

Anyway... that's it from me for tonight... not bad for a sleep deprived shift worker, huh? :)

<3 M

No comments:

Post a Comment